Empowering people to reach their financial potential.
Horizons has been providing financial services to Eastern Iowa since 1983. Our services include housing counseling and financial literacy programs. Horizons’ goal is to improve the financial capability of those seeking services, as well as raise the level of financial stability in the community.
Are you interested in bringing a Financial Counselor in to speak with you team or group?
Sample our Home Ownership Workshop here.
Email Denise Fuller for more information and to schedule a session today!
Connect with the Financial Wellness Center
Call: 319-398-3943 or 877-653-3123
Student Loan Counseling
Whether you are applying for your first student loan, ready to start making payments, or trying to determine how to meet your monthly payments, a Financial Wellness Center Counselor is here to help!
Student Loan Counselors will:
- Perform a holistic evaluation of your current financial situation.
- Review the status of your current student loans to determine servicers, loan amounts, interest rates, etc.
- Conduct an analysis of your student loans and current financial situation to help you set-up affordable payments.
- Determine if deferment, forbearance, consolidation, forgiveness and/or cancellation are an option.
- Evaluate options for defaulted student loans.
The government doesn’t charge any fees to apply for student loans or student loan repayment programs. However, we know your time is valuable and the process can be confusing, so we provide our services and expertise at a reasonable fee. We work diligently to offset the cost of this service by accepting funding from a variety of sources including: federal and local grants, charitable contributions from members of the financial industry, and donations from individuals or foundations. We keep our fees as low as possible while covering our operating costs.
Contact us today for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Online Financial Education Programs Benefit You
You make decisions about money every day – some minor, some that will affect you for years. If you’ve got questions about repairing or improving your credit and credit score, using a budget, or getting out of debt, you’ve come to the right place. Financial Education Programs gives you the resources you can need to achieve financial freedom.
Money Management empowers you to:
- Understand savings and spending
- Understand credit
- Manage personal finances
*A signed certificate of completion presented to client upon finishing a counseling session with a HUD Certified Housing Counselor
Course Fee: $30.00 per registration.
The course fee is non-refundable.
Classes and Seminars
Classes and seminars offered by the Financial Health & Wellness Center will provide the tools and knowledge that will contribute to financial well-being for a lifetime.
- Developing a Spending and Savings Plan
- Building a Better Credit Report
- Credit: Handle with Care
- Behind on Bills?
Contact us today if you would like to organize a presentation for your organization.
Budget and Credit Counseling
Financial problems can affect relationships, jobs, emotional well-being and physical health. Financial Counselors at Horizons:
- Listen to individual needs and concerns.
- Provide an honest and accurate assessment of the financial situation.
- Help clients identify individual goals and priorities.
- Work with clients to develop a plan to meet goals.
- Support you along the way.
Whether you need a budget, a spending plan, or debt-reduction plan, our Certified HUD Housing Counselor will help. Budget and Credit Counseling Services are available in-person, by telephone or online. Contact us today for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Comprehensive Housing Counseling
Horizons Financial Wellness Center is approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to provide comprehensive housing counseling and education services.
Online Home Buyer Education
Online Home Buyer Educations provides you with personal access to a HUD Certified Housing Counselor who will discuss your goals and develop a personalized home-ownership plan with you.
Register for the Home Buyer Education Course.
Learn how to:
- Determine if homeownership is right for you
- Shop for a home
- Maintain your home
*Certificate of completion presented to client and/or lender upon completion of counseling session with a HD Certified Housing Counselor.
Course Fee: $99.00 per registration.
The course fee is non-refundable.
Thinking about buying a home? Meet with one of the Certified Housing Counselors to review your budget and credit report, and to help develop a plan to make home-ownership a reality.
Foreclosure Prevention and Mitigation
If delinquent on your mortgage or facing foreclosure on your home, contact us immediately for help. Our Certified Housing Counselors have the experience and expertise to work with you and your lender to find the best solution.
Post-Purchase Counseling and Home Maintenance
Our financial counselors will provide you with the tools to retain and maintain home-ownership, once you have purchased your home. Our Certified Housing Counselors will help you with budgeting, dealing with creditors or how to address situations that may jeopardize home ownership.
Contact us today!
Financial Wellness Center Calculators
It is our goal to provide you with as much information and as many tools as possible with which to make sound money management decisions. The links below will provide you with valuable knowledge to guide you in taking the steps to positively impact your financial future.
- Mortgage Payment Calculator
- Lifetime Earnings Calculator
- Budget Percent Calculator
- Savings Goals Calculator
- Debt Calculator
HUD – U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development works to strengthen the housing market and end homelessness. Find information about home buying, rental assistance, housing discrimination and more.
Our agency is committed to assuring the privacy of individuals and/or families who have contacted us for assistance. We realize that the concerns you bring to us are highly personal in nature. We assure you that all information shared both orally and in writing will be managed within legal and ethical considerations.
To assist us in our work with you, staff may seek supervision/consultation with professional colleagues within the agency and, where appropriate and necessary, with other resources in the community. For the purpose of evaluating our services, gathering valuable research information and designing future programs, we may use aggregated case file information. Clients anonymity will be maintained through the use of a client number or by using aggregate data in all circumstances.
For counseling only clients, we will confirm with your creditors if asked:
- Verification of appointment
- Date of counseling
- Disposition: i.e.
- Client will handle affairs on their own
- Pending action
Release of Information to a Third Party
Detailed circumstances under which we will release your information to a third party:
- We may compile data and aggregate information that you give to us, but this information may not be disclosed in a manner that would personally identify you in any way.
- We do not disclose any nonpublic personal information about our customers or former customers to anyone, except as permitted by law.
- We may disclose some or all of the information that we collect, as described below, to creditors, or third parties that you have authorized who need this information in order for us to assist you after a counseling session.
- We restrict access to nonpublic personal information about you to those employees who need to know that information to provide services to you. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal regulations to guard your nonpublic personal information.
- We collect nonpublic personal information about you from the following sources: Information we received from you on our applications or other forms you provide; Information about your transactions with us, your creditors, or others; and
- We may disclose the following kinds of nonpublic personal information about you: Information we receive from you on applications or other forms, such as your name, address, social security number, assets, and income; Information about your transactions with us, your creditors, or others, such as your account balance, payment history, parties to transactions and credit card usage.