Get Involved with Horizons
Horizons, A Family Service Alliance, provides a variety of ways for community members to get involved. Horizons depends on its volunteers and donors to help fulfill the agency’s mission to serve the Cedar Rapids community. However you choose to help, we thank you.
There’s Something For Everyone
Each area of the agency has its own unique volunteer needs, from delivering meals to administrative tasks. We also have special event volunteer opportunities throughout the year. Call 319-375-3108 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Some of our opportunities include:
- Plant, tend, and harvest in our 8 raised garden plots.
- Bring yourself, some family, or co-workers and volunteer when it’s convenient for you.
Meals on Wheels Department:
- Meals on Wheels Drivers: Deliver hot meals to homebound seniors between 10:45 am and 12:15 pm each weekday.
- Kitchen Line/Prep: Help on the serving line or help with food prep needed for the following day’s meals.
- Corporate Adopt-A-Route: Company employees deliver meals during their lunch hour once a week, once a month, or anywhere in between. Put together some teams and create a great team building opportunity.
- Help out our other departments such as Finance or Financial Health & Wellness with filing or clerical duties.
- Building Maintenance: Set your own hours and help out once a week or as needed on small maintenance jobs on our building and grounds.
- Lunch Box Fundraisers: Assist with food preparation, packaging, and delivery during our semi-annual fundraisers for Meals on Wheels.
- Turkey Trot: Help us to serve breakfast to the hundreds of runners who take part in this 5K/8K run that is held in November at Marion High School.
Every Dollar Makes a Difference
We rely on the generous financial support of the community to help us serve the individuals and families who are in need of our help.
Your gift to Horizons provides resources that make an immediate impact to:
- ensure that seniors in our community continue to receive nutritious meals which allows them to stay in their homes through our Meals on Wheels department.
- those who are struggling to make ends meet have the education and debt management assistance available to make solid financial decisions with the help of our Financial Health and Wellness department.
- families that have at least one child under age 6 that need help to become more self-sufficient and to have a positive home environment through our Family Support program.
- assist victims of violent crime through our Survivors Program.
- provide affordable night and weekend transportation to work, school, or life skills classes during times when the fixed route city buses do not operate through NTS.
Give to get! Even if you don’t plan to itemize deductions on your next tax return, the CARES Act allows you to make a $300 charitable gift and then deduct that $300 on your 2020 taxes.
To make a donation by mail:Horizons, A Family Services Alliance
819 5th Street SE
PO Box 667
Cedar Rapids, IA 52406
Donations may be made in honor or in memory of someone. An acknowledgement will be sent to the individual or family notifying them of your generous contribution.
Horizons is a 501(c)3 tax-exempt nonprofit organization as defined in the Internal Revenue Code. Contributions to Horizons are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.