SUMMARY: Responsible for but not limited to food preparation, packaging, and clean-up of menu items for the Horizons Meals on Wheels Program. All work shall be done in accordance with Iowa Public Health and Safety codes and with any policies and procedures of Horizons and the Meals on Wheels program.
- Assists with preparation of cold food, dessert, special diets, and working ahead to ensure items are ready for packing in coolers when needed.
- Assists with hot food production working ahead to ensure timely hot meals.
- Assist with preparation and presentation of food for events.
- Attends staff events as needed in cooperation with Breakfast Bag Coordinator and Kitchen Manager.
- Documents production details and quantities and assists Kitchen Manager with inventory requirements.
- Participates in menu planning as needed with Kitchen Manager.
- Fosters a team approach by assisting other Horizons’ staff with tasks as needed and expressing a positive, cooperative attitude.
- Identifies areas of need and continuously cleans kitchen facilities on a daily and weekly basis.
Note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to collaborate with employees and volunteers daily.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES:
- All employees must learn and comply with all safety and health rules and regulations applicable to their work. It is their further responsibility to support Horizons in providing a safe place to work and to protect themselves, co-workers, and clients against injuries or illnesses.
- Follow all HIPAA regulations.
- Recognize and build on the cultural diversity of our clients and co-workers.
- Attend training as directed; maintain agency, funder, and state training
- Actively, assertively, and thoughtfully participate in staff meetings on a regular basis, as scheduled by the
- Provide internal referrals where appropriate to promote Horizons’ holistic approach to health services.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Must have a high school diploma or equivalent and be able to read and write. Preferred 3 to 5 years’ experience in food service with some large batch cooking. ServSafe Certification is also preferred.
HOURS AND SCHEDULE EXPECTATIONS:
Current hours for this position are 6:00am- 12:00pm Monday- Friday, however, hours are likely to extend until 2:00pm each day. Overtime and schedule changes need to be approved by supervisor.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to calculate and adjust recipes to fit needs. Be able to lift at least 40 lbs safely as well as stand and walk for long periods of time. Willingness to learn all jobs within the kitchen.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Horizons is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Must provide vehicle for own transportation.
- Must possess a valid Iowa driver’s license.
- Must possess valid auto insurance.
- Must supply all needed records.
- Must be able to pass a criminal history and child and dependent adult abuse background check.
HORIZONS’ SHARED VALUES:
Family: We go above and beyond for each other at Horizons because we believe in one another. Treating each other with respect, providing support and giving trust. We come together to celebrate our accomplishments. We encourage the heart.
Team Work: We work together toward common goals. We understand the value of collaboration in the workplace. We communicate and get involved at Horizons to help our community. With a sense of unity, reliability and flexibility to change, which supports an empowered way of working. We enable others to act.
Accountability: We do what we say we will do, with an ownership mentality. Holding each other accountable by being clear with expectations and feedback. We build trust through accomplished goals.
Integrity: We demonstrate sound moral and ethical principles in all that we do. We foster honesty, trust, and clear, frequent communication. We lead by example and model the way.
Knowledge: We seek to understand the ‘Why’. We challenge the process and strive to continuously grow. We are aware and share information to make good decisions. We are a team of lifelong learners that are committed to developing leaders.
Compassion: We seek to understand the feelings of others while showing kindness & respect. We desire to help others. We are committed to our mission to instill hope, change lives, and brighten futures of those we serve through the work we do.
Open-mindedness: Horizons encourages creativity and new ideas. We embrace diversity while recognizing and respecting others’ points of view. We pushing ourselves out of our comfort zone. We have a drive to learn.
Building Relationships: Horizons’ employees build strong and diverse relationships with all of our Stakeholders and the community we serve. We communicate openly and honestly as we listen to understand. Horizons Inspires a shared Vision.